Sunday 14 July 2013

WARECOD, Vietnam


I am ecstatic to officially be living and working in VIETNAM for 8 months in September. The organization that I will be working for is called the Vietnam Centre for Water Conservation and Development (WARECOD). It was founded under the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Association. WARECOD aims at promoting the sustainable use of Vietnam’s water resources as well as educating the population about the adverse effects of various water development projects in both urban and rural areas.

Vision:a world where people are aware of the value of water resources and cooperate together in solidarity to conserve these resources and ensure their equitable and sustainable use.

Mission: protect Vietnam’s water resources, in order to contribute to ensuring the well-being of river ecosystems,  sustain biodiversity, and protect the livelihoods of communities that depend on these resources.

Although this organization was not my first choice, WARECOD thought that I would be a perfect fit for their team. I was initially hoping to work with an organization that focused on urban development since I have experience working with rural development projects, but after researching about the organization, I think its a perfect match. I have always had a keen interest in human rights, and WARECOD advocates for the rights of ethnic minorities living in the rural areas that have inadequate access to clean water. Everything happens for a reason and I am sure that I will have a great experience. Water conservation is an issue that affects many countries around the world and I am looking forward to learning more about conservation strategies. I am also very excited to be working with the Vietnamese people who live in the rural areas, I am sure it will be fascinating to experience their culture and way of life. 

Currently, I am unaware of my position in the organization or what the next steps are but  I will hopefully know soon. For more information on WARECOD check out their website here

3 comments:

  1. This is an amazing opportunity for you to be able to go out to a developing country and work on water conservation! Its great that you will be working on water conservation and awareness especially in a country that is rapidly developing. Your work will help new developed and developing nations better understand water usage in a time where climate change and other strains on natural resources are hindering progression on urban development. It will really be a great experience for you and I wish you the best of luck in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow increasingly excited for you with each and every blog post! You are right that everything happens for a reason and after checking out their website, I can tell that you will be a great contribution to their team and that in turn, you will learn so much! Water conservation and awareness is not something we think a lot about here but just as you stated in a previous blog on bottled water, not everyone in developping countries have access to clean water and that is a very big issue. I am also very interested in learning more from you while you are there as to how the organization advocates for the rights of ethnic minorities. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your passion for development is just beyond me! I am so excited for you to live your dream in Vietnam. Education and water can single handedly change the globe, and you're putting yourself out there to keep it in the world. I feel education is a problem and solution to many of the world's social, health and economic issues. The lack of it creates the problem and the implementation of education and knowledge helps solve these issues or at least makes these issues become aware in a nation's political agenda. I hope to read your experiences as you work abroad!

    ReplyDelete